[Kde-pim] Mail migration status

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 27 23:24:12 BST 2010

On Thursday, 2010-05-27, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Monday 24 May 2010 22:30:02 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > I do have a general question on config migration: what about using
> > > kmail2rc  (maybe even call the executable kmail2)?
> > > There are probably setttings in kmailrc that do no longer make
> > > sense, the migrator could (assuming we can get a mapping of
> > > settings) just migrate those  which still do.
> > >
> > > Has the nice side effect of making the same setup still usable with
> > > KMail1 in  fallback scenarios.
> >
> > We have not done that in the past, we've always used update scripts
> > in kdepim/kmail/kconf_update.
> > However, for KMail2, renaming the binary and the config file name is
> > indeed a good idea.
>
> +1 for renaming the config file.
>
> I'm not so sure about the executable because renaming it will break
> scripts and applications which have 'kmail' hard-coded.

We already break all kinds of script compatibilities by removing D-Bus
interfaces, etc.

If the commandline interface does not change we can document this for
packagers so they can decide to e.g. install a symlink.
It also allows them to potentially ship both KMails.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring