[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Needs More TIme

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri May 14 22:22:11 BST 2010

On Friday May 14, 2010 11:20, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> My suggestion (as an outsider) is to opt for choice 3 or, more
> precisely, to opt for the following variant of 3:
> - Take the time until 4.6.0 to make the Akonadi port of kdepim rock.
> - Move current trunk/KDE/kdepim to a branch.
> - Copy current branches/KDE/4.4/kdepim to trunk, i.e. revive kdepim 4.4
> for KDE SC 4.5.
> - Probably keep kaddressbook trunk.
> - Optionally, spend the time until 4.5.0 to fix the most annoying
> shortcomings in kdepim 4.4.
>
> IMHO it does not make any sense to rush the completion of the Akonadi
> port of kdepim. We got enough beating (e.g. on kdepim-users) for
> releasing the incomplete rewrite of KAddressBook with all of its
> migration problems with 4.4. To prevent a similar experience with the
> Akonadi ports of KMail, KOrganizer, etc., we need an extended alpha and
> beta phase, not shortened ones.
>
> If the Akonadi port of kdepim is ready for alpha or beta testing in a
> couple of months then we can (and should) make an alpha/beta release of
> kdepim (based on KDE SC 4.5) for those who are willing to play guinea
> pig.

I agree. There have been too many users who have reported serious problems
with the KAddressBook update - and considering that most users never
contact KDE lists, there must inevitably be many more who have encountered
the same problems and just given up trying to get things to work. We
really can't afford to have such difficulties with the KMail 2 upgrade,
and the only way to have reasonable confidence about that is to allow
sufficient time for thorough testing, particularly of the upgrade process.
After alpha testing, I'd say it would need at least a month of beta
testing without real difficulties emerging before it should be released
for production.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.