[Kde-pim] FOSS Outlook PST convertors

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Tue May 25 10:14:02 BST 2010

Am Dienstag 25 Mai 2010, 10:17:46 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Tuesday, 2010-05-25, Markus wrote:
> > Hi.
> > In case you've missed it: Microsoft released code to access Outlook's PST
> > files as FOSS under the Apache License 2.0:
> > http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/05/outlook-lock-in-could-vanis
> > h- with-new-open-source-projects.ars
>
> Looks interesting, though it is probably wise to wait until it is confirmed
> that the licence is compatible.

Um, it's the Apache License 2.0 and not some new one invented by MS.
We already know its compatibility since years!

AL2.0 is compatible with the GPL3
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2
under which all KDE-hosted code is also licensed:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy
One of the reasons why KDE went through the lengthy re-licensing process of
converting old "GPLv2 only" code to the new licensing policy was to enable
Exhchange compatibility through  the GPLv3'ed OpenChange code:
http://wiki.openchange.org/index.php/Akonadi_Resource

Alternatively a separate converter app could be written (similar to the
current KMailCvt) that does not link with GPLed code, hence be free of any
legal mumbo-jumbo linking may bring.

> I am not sure how many prospective customers are using local PST storage,
> most will probably use some kind of groupware server.

Small-sized businesses rarely use Groupware servers (at least that's my
experience).

Markus