[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Needs More TIme

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon May 17 17:55:02 BST 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 16:05:17 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2010 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > What is so hard about migrating config data? At least the account setup
> >
> >  doesn't look too complicated to the naive me.
>
> Migrating config data is very hard. You have to deal with an awful lot of
> details, weird setups, configs which were migrated over many years again
> and again, and you have to get it 100% right, otherwise users will be
> annoyed. It's also tremendously hard to test as you usually don't have
> access to a wide variety of test configs, and developers don't notice
> issues, as they do the migration of their own data only once.
>
> So this needs a lot of hardening, and a lot of attention to details. We
> should really take the time to do it properly. Any problems with that will
> badly reflect on Akonadi, which we really have to avoid. The current
> opinion of Akonadi is already bad enough.

Users can live with the details of setup - minor things like layouts, for
instance - but account details - the ability to send and receive mail based on
the account settings already present - would be important to them.  We can
prepare users for the need to reconfigure the lesser things, but if account
details are lost I predict that all hell with let loose.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group