[Kde-pim] [kde-promo] Akonadi questionez

Vivek Prakash vivek.ap at gmail.com
Fri May 28 19:50:22 BST 2010

> For the beta1 announcement, I'm using the following as to why akonadi is interesting:
>
> "Akonadi will centralize synching and caching of PIM data, deliver wider support for
> groupware servers and makes handling PIM data, such as contacts, calendaring and
> email more efficient by sharing it across applications."
>
> Let's see how this fares. (It goes along with the "akonadi ports coming later"
> message, so definitely interesting.)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> sebas

I've tried to summarize a couple of benefits, as I understand them, in
straightforward language.

Essentially, Akonadi is a framework that can understand and use email,
calendaring and contact information from different sources.  One
benefit of this structure is that Akonadi can reduce system overheads
- open up an address book once and share it across applications rather
than each application opening up the same address book many times.

Another benefit is relatively easy coordination of data on different
devices - making it easy to share, backup, and synchronize between
your computer, phone, and the internet.  For example, Akonadi can
already synchronize with Nokia's phone calendars, and can access
Gmail's contacts and Google Calendar, although those options are
currently less evolved.

Source (phone reference):
http://primalcortex.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/kmailkorganizer-and-nokia-phone-synchronization/

I don't know if that helps - I'm not a programmer/developer - but
those two seem like good, useful benefits.

Regards,
Vivek

ps.  I'm CC'ing kde-pim on this reply-all, but I'm not on that mailing
list so the email may get held up - obviously their comments would be
very useful.