[Kde-pim] KDEPIM Needs More TIme

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 15 13:25:30 BST 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2010 12:41:27 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > I recommend releasing 4.5 without kdepim as was done with 4.0 and
> > > doing an interim kdepim release cycle (call it akonadi tech
> > > preview) before 4.6. This gives us a way to soft-launch the
> > > major Akonadi ports without the full expectations coupled to
> > > being in the SC, and gives us some nice things to talk about
> > > between 4.5 and 4.6.
> > >
> > > Whatever we do, we're not hurting our downstreams, since 4.5
> > > falls between the major distros' release cycles anyway.  There
> > > will be a bit more packaging work during the 4.5 cycle to
> > > maintain repos containing SC 4.5 + kdepim 4.4 and SC 4.5 +
> > > kdepim ATP, but as a packager I'm ok with that.
> >
> > I'd agree with this. I'm against delaying the complete KDE SC 4.5,
> > the above sounds like the best.
> > We should stick to the 1 month delay plan however, the "ATP" should
> > be fully usable for most users.
>
> Does this mean that it will be possible to have KDE SC 4.5 with
> kdepim 4.4 and kdepim ATP parallel installed?

No. You can install one or the other. But that's not really a problem
because if the ATP doesn't work for you then you can "simply" install
4.4 again.

> Providing there's no
> danger of data loss this would be ideal from the users' PoV.  Those
> that understand the deal and choose to test would be able to do so,
> while still having the old one to fall back on if things go wrong,

This won't work. There won't be a way back once the data and the
configuration has been migrated and the ATP has been used (producing new
data). In KDE PIM (and, AFAIK, also in the rest of KDE) we never took
precautions allowing to go back. Consequently, we have never promised
that it's possible to go back to an earlier version of an application.

Users who want to give the ATP a try should make a backup of their data
and their configuration before installing the ATP. But users do anyway
backup their data regularly, right? ;-)

> and others could stick with 4.4 until the next distro release.

Not just "could", but "SHOULD" (in the RFC sense of the word).

Regards,
Ingo