[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Mar 22 12:26:57 GMT 2010

On Mon, March 22, 2010 11:44 am, Mike Arthur wrote:

> On 22 Mar 2010, at 11:35, Dr. Robert Marmorstein wrote:
>
>> I disagree completely.  If the problem is sufficiently serious to merit
>> attention almost any user is going to turn first to Google.  And the
>> more
>> unusual the term is, the easier it is to sift relevant data out of those
>> millions of hits it inevitably finds.
>
> You should watch my parents use their computer. I don't think they've ever
> looked up an error message on Google. They'll have a problem, try and play
> around with it for a few minutes by themselves and then they will call me
> and ask me to fix it. Anecdotal but still relevant, I feel.

That's my experience too with family members, although I find that they
often don't understand even plain English messages. For people like that,
computer terms just don't form part of their vocabulary or world view, so
things like "Akonadi" would be just gobbledegook, to be glossed over. If
they actually did look up "Akonadi" and tried to read a description, they
still wouldn't have a clue as to what it meant.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.