[Kde-pim] IMAP/Pop3 Config UIs

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 28 15:10:53 BST 2010

On Sunday 28 March 2010, Casey Link wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is in reference to bug 223483 "SMTP, POP and IMAP config dialogs
> should look similar." [1]
>
> I figured I would take a stab at making these UIs more consistent. Of
> all of them, I think IMAP is in the best state currently. Though it
> certainly needs improvements.
>
> So, first, I'll fix the gripes with the IMAP dialog, and then
> refactor the others to use a similar grouping pattern. I've attached
> a few simple screenshots of the IMAP config that take into
> consideration the comments in that bug.
>
> The first simple shows the groupings Thomas suggested, IMHO, it looks
> pretty cluttered in the middle.
>
> The second tries to reduce the cluttered feeling by separating the
> encryption and authentication options with a line, though now the
> two seem almost too distinct, i.e., will Auto Detect affect the
> authentication settings?
>
> The third screenshot is the second, but with the third grouping
> changed to include more options and improve the layouting.
>
> I've also included the original screenshot for comparison.
>
> Comments/Flames?

I suggest hiding the encryption/authentication radio buttons behind a
"Detailed settings" (or whatever the standard description for this is)
expander similar to the Options button in the Print dialog.

Also, I'd add an indicator or a label which simply says "Insecure
connection" and "Secure connection". Or a simple choice between
"Insecure connection" and "Secure connection". Or "Insecure connection",
"Secure connection (via SSL)" and "Secure connection (via TLS)".

Hmm, maybe only the authentication methods should be hidden. Those
should really be auto-detected and no user should ever have to change
them. Neither Thunderbird nor Outlook expose this technical detail in
their account settings. So it appears to be completely superfluous.

Regards,
Ingo