[Kde-pim] GSoC: Easy Import and Export of all PIM data in Kontact

Maciek Zarzycki zarzych at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 23:06:42 GMT 2010

Hello,
my name is Maciek Zarzycki and I'm MSc student in computer science. I've been
willing to get involved with KDE development for some time now and GSoC is a
great opportunity for this.

As I am using Kontact for my everyday email/calendar/address book tasks I
thought I might as well try to contribute :). I find the import/export project
a good place to start. It doesn't look very hard and should allow me to easily
get to know the code base and structure of KDE PIM applications.

As far as I know, each Kontact component (KMail, KOrganizer, etc.) has it's
own mechanism for importing/exporting data. Each of them also stores it's
configuration in KConfig files. The only part I'm not sure about is meta-data
handling, but I'm sure I can get it with a few tips from you.

I would like to create a generic import/export dialog that can by used by
Kontact and all its components. I intend to base it on a concept similar to
systemsettings/KCModule. Each application would provide a plugin specyfying
types of data (e.g. configuration, emails, calendar entries) and implementing
import/export logic. The dialog would than use this data over standarized
interface to present it to the user. This way we would have consistent user
experience across many KDE PIM applications and we could reuse as much code as
possible.

Please tell me what you thing about my idea. I am open to all suggestions and
comments. Please also tell me if I am not clear enough and I will try to
explain my idea better.

Maciek