[Kde-pim] IMAP/Pop3 Config UIs

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 21:06:33 BST 2010

Hi,

On Monday 29 March 2010 21:50:18 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 28 March 2010, Casey Link wrote:
> > I've taken the comments into consideration, and tried to improve the
> > mockups.
>
> Will people understand what the progress bar means? Actually, I'm not
> even sure what this progress bar is supposed to indicate. Is it the
> quota?

The progress bar appears only when the "auto detect" button is clicked, and
disappears after the check again, so no problem there.

> I would put the Connection Settings on a separate tab. Reasoning:
> Today's displays are much wider than tall and especially displays of
> netbooks and, even more so, the display of the N900 are awfully limited
> in height. The mock-up is 628 pixels tall. So it won't fit on an 800x600
> screen. And that without even taking the task bar into account which
> might reduce the height even more (unless it's on the left instead of at
> the bottom). IMO our dialogs should be optimized for wide displays.
>
> Also, a lot of the options present in the current IMAP Settings are
> missing, e.g. "local subscription", "namespaces" and a few others (that
> might not really be needed). Okay, local subscription might not be
> necessary anymore because the caching options can be specified per
> folder, but what about namespaces? Do we assume that namespaces always
> work and thus are not necessary in the dialog? (They definitely do not
> work out-of-the-box for all IMAP servers.)

I don't think namespaces are supported by the IMAP resource currently. Please
file a bug report for the IMAP resource, tag it with the "akonadi-ports-
regression" keyword, and mark it as a blocker of bug 223438.

> Also, "local subscription" could be useful for netbooks or smart phones
> where you don't want to see the full list of folders, but just a few
> important ones. Or can this be selected elsewhere? If yes, where?
>
> The more I think about it, I don't think we should deviate too much from
> the current IMAP account settings dialog.
>
> The changes on the General tab are mostly okay, but the proposal for
> setting the mail check interval is a no-go because it is not
> localizable. In some localizations the spin box will have to be in the
> middle of the text or even on the left of the text.

Right, it needs to be reworded to be translatable, or put the spinbox into a
new row with its own label.

> I don't like the choice of encryption settings. Does SSL with STARTTLS
> make sense? Does TLS without STARTTLS make any sense?

SSL with STARTTLS does not make any sense at all, and the other way around it
also doesn't make sense. As I said in an earlier mail, this is because of the
confusion over the SSL and TLS terms. There is no SSL really, only "TLS from
the beginning" and "TLS after issuing the STARTTLS command".

I think KTCPSocket still supports SSL, but there is no way to influence that
from the outside (and there shouldn't be, as the SSL/TLS version is auto-
detected by KTCPSocket).

Regards,
Thomas