[Kde-pim] Akonadi, PG, self-test, and roles

Brian DeRocher brian at derocher.org
Sun Mar 14 01:55:24 GMT 2010

I was getting some errors so i stopped the server using Akonadi Server
Configuration.  That failed (more on that later).  So i killed the
process and deleted .local/share/akonadi/ folder.  I started up the
server again.  This created a fresh database.

When i ran the Self-Test, i got this for the second test:

FATAL: role "akonadi" does not exist
QPSQL: Unable to connect

I was surprised to see this message.  .akonadiserverrc did not contain
this user, and i didn't type it into the server configuration dialog
box.  I connected to the database with psql as brian and created this
akonadi role.  "with login" is needed.

akonadi=# \du
            List of roles
 Role name | Attributes  | Member of
-----------+-------------+-----------
 brian     | Superuser   | {}
           : Create role
           : Create DB

akonadi=# create role akonadi with login;

This will resolve the error message, but i'm not sure it's what you
want.

So  Is the self-test supposed to connect to the database as akonadi or
the local user?  (in kdepimlibs)

Also when it makes this connection it uses host=localhost instead of
host=/home/brian/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/, the file which contains
the socket file .s.PSQL.5432.  I'm pretty sure that's not right because,
the akondi server in kdesupport "// avoid[s] binding to tcp port".

I think what has to happen here is, we need to read the config file and
obey it.  Is that right?

thanks,
Brian