[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Mar 22 09:41:34 GMT 2010

On Sun, March 21, 2010 8:31 pm, Dr. Robert Marmorstein wrote:
> I think the idea that jargon is bad doesn't take into account the modern
> approach to information lookup.  I may not know what Akonadi is at first
> glance, but it is a LOT easier to Google for Akonadi than for something
> more
> generic like "e-mail storage proxy".  It may be jargon, but it actually
> makes
> error messages EASIER to parse, not harder.  I think, at least for error
> messages, it's more important to be technically accurate than to make the
> user interface seem polished.

That may be true for the category of user who is interested and motivated
enough to look up the term. But for another category (which I suspect
forms the majority), i.e. those people who don't care about how the system
works and only want to get their task done, they will just ignore the
message if at all possible and try to carry on without understanding what
it said.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.