[Kde-pim] [RFC] cleaning up libkdepim

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Mar 19 07:52:49 GMT 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 18:06:25 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> Hej,
>
> I currently try to cleanup our infamous 'drop-in-everything' libkdepim
> directory. Most of the classes that are used only by one application
> have been moved to the applications source directory, the next step
> are the shared ones and the classes that should go to kdepimlibs after
> API review and stabilization. Below you can find the list of lasting
> classes/files and what I'd like to do with them.

thanks for compiling this list, very helpful :)

> Comments, suggestions and objections are welcome :)
>
> # Rewrite and move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/contacts
> addresseelineedit
> completionordereditor
> kmailcompletion

yep, makes sense

> # Some new notification library in kdepimlibs?
> agentprogressmonitor
> broadcaststatus
> overlaywidget
> progressdialog
> progressmanager
> ssllabel
> statusbarprogresswidget

Also used in KDevelop, so rather move it into kdeui. If that is not an option
for whatever reason, the kontact lib in kdepimlibs might be another possible
destination.

> # Move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/ (Stephen, what are your plans?)
> kdescendantsproxymodel

kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews

> # Move to kdepim/ no need to link against
> kdepimprotocols

no idea what this is at all, probably deprecated by universal use of Akonadi
urls.

> # Create new 'messagetools' library that is used by kmail/knode

sounds like another dumping ground to me, also there is libmessagecore already
(with rather strict rules for putting stuff in there to avoid becoming yet
another libkdepim, see README in there).

> kwidgetlister

this is a generic widget, unreleated to messages, so shouldn't end up in a
message specific library.

> kmeditor

libmessagecomposer might be a good desitnation for that

> kxface (+messageviewer)

no good idea for that one yet

> csshelper (+messageviewer +messagecomposer)

should be in libmessageviewer, I'm surprised it is used in the composer
though?

> # Port to kconfigdialogmanager and move to korganizer/
> kprefsdialog
>
> # Move to kdepimlibs/kldap + api review
> ldapclient
> ldapsearchdialog
>
> # Move to kdepimlibs/widgets + api review
> kdateedit
> kdatepickerpopup
> ktimeedit
> ktimezonecombobox

kdepimlibs/widgets doesn't make sense IMHO, we have kdeui for generic widgets.
Especially since there are various date/time editing widgets around already,
including numerous copies of the ones above, it is even more important to
have them in kdelibs.

> # Move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/(utils) + api review
> uistatesaver

fully generic, nothing Akonadi specific in there IIRC, so should go into
kdelibs as well IMHO

> # Move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/contact + api review
> contactsfilterproxymodel
> contactstreemodel
> addresseeview            # extract toHtml() functionality
> addressesdialog          # rewrite based on contactstreemodel

yep, getting rid of the addresseeview code duplication would be great.

> # Get rid of
> distributionlist     # replace with Akonadi::ContactGroup everywhere
> kaddrbookexternal    # replace with native _async_ Akonadi calls

definitely, this is causing a lot of problems

> kresourceprefs       # drop together with kresources, in the meanwhile move
> to kresources/ subdir as static library recentaddresses      # replace with
> live searches?
> sendsmsdialog        # what to do?

that's a dependency of the addresseeview IIRC

> # Still needed? or replaced by a new parameterized AkonadiDrag object?
> kvcarddrag
> maillistdrag

Akoandi dnd works with URLs, so no dedicated drag objects needed probably. But
needs more detailed investigation of the current dnd usage I guess.

regards
Volker