[Kde-pim] [RFC] cleaning up libkdepim

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 23:10:13 GMT 2010

Hi,

Good work on the libkdepim cleanup so far :)

On Thursday 18 March 2010 18:06:25 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> I currently try to cleanup our infamous 'drop-in-everything' libkdepim
> directory. Most of the classes that are used only by one application
> have been moved to the applications source directory, the next step
> are the shared ones and the classes that should go to kdepimlibs after
> API review and stabilization. Below you can find the list of lasting
> classes/files and what I'd like to do with them.
>
> Comments, suggestions and objections are welcome :)
>
> # Rewrite and move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/contacts
> addresseelineedit
> completionordereditor
> kmailcompletion

I agree.

> # Some new notification library in kdepimlibs?
> agentprogressmonitor
> broadcaststatus
> overlaywidget
> progressdialog
> progressmanager
> ssllabel
> statusbarprogresswidget

Sure, why not.

> # Move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/ (Stephen, what are your plans?)
> kdescendantsproxymodel
>
> # Move to kdepim/ no need to link against
> kdepimprotocols

I am against moving stuff to the top-level folder.
Maybe we can get rid of this file.

> # Create new 'messagetools' library that is used by kmail/knode
> kwidgetlister
> kmeditor
> kxface (+messageviewer)
> csshelper (+messageviewer +messagecomposer)

We already have "messagecore" as the new dumping place for mail-related stuff
that is shared between components and applications, so it should probably be
in there instead of in yet-another messagesomething folder.

> # Port to kconfigdialogmanager and move to korganizer/
> kprefsdialog
>
> # Move to kdepimlibs/kldap + api review
> ldapclient
> ldapsearchdialog

Yep. And then use the ldapsearchdialog in KAddressbook, instead of using its
own copy (see kaddressbook/xxport/ldap/ldapsearchdialog.cpp)

> # Move to kdepimlibs/widgets + api review
> kdateedit
> kdatepickerpopup
> ktimeedit
> ktimezonecombobox
>
> # Move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/(utils) + api review
> uistatesaver
>
> # Move to kdepimlibs/akonadi/contact + api review
> contactsfilterproxymodel
> contactstreemodel
> addresseeview            # extract toHtml() functionality
> addressesdialog          # rewrite based on contactstreemodel
>
> # Get rid of
> distributionlist     # replace with Akonadi::ContactGroup everywhere
> kaddrbookexternal    # replace with native _async_ Akonadi calls

We can't stress _async_ enough here :)

> kresourceprefs       # drop together with kresources, in the meanwhile move
>                        to kresources/ subdir as static library
> recentaddresses      # replace with live searches?

What are live searches?

> sendsmsdialog        # what to do?

Apparently only used by addresseeview, so it should be moved together with
addresseeview (and be private API, or make it public API and also integrate it
in KAddressbook)

> # Still needed? or replaced by a new parameterized AkonadiDrag object?
> kvcarddrag
> maillistdrag

No idea, you need to look at the individual usages here.

Regards,
Thomas