[Kde-pim] Integrating LDAP into contact lookup in a common way

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Thu Mar 25 17:01:24 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:28:08PM +0000, Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Hi,
Hej,

here is a small update:

>         - One LDAP implementation in kdepimlibs/kldap/ldapsearch.h, in
> namespace KLDAP. This is the version that is referred to from the KDE
> 4.x docs for kdepimlibs, though the bulk of the content is missing.
>
>         - Another LDAP implementation in
> kdepim/libkdepim/ldapclient.h, in namespace KPIM. This is referred to
> from the docs for kdepim/libkdepim, though the file contains comments
> saying "this is for internal use only".
This has been renamed to KLDAP::LdapClientSearch and moved to kdepimlibs/kldap/.
In opposite to KLDAP::LdapSearch, it supports parallel searches on all configured
KLDAP::LdapClient objects.

I'm not sure yet whether we can merge that somehow to get rid of the kio_ldap
dependency.

>         - An LDAP Akonadi resource in playground/pim/ldap. From a
> quick test, this seems to work nicely, and depends on the KPIM
> version.
No, it uses KLDAP::Ldif and kio_ldap directly, the KPIM::Ldap classes
are not involved.

> And on the UI side we have:
>
>         - An AddresseeLineEdit in kdepim/libkdepim which does support
> LDAP, based on KPIM.
Casey Link is working on this one.

>         - An AddressLineEdit in kdepimlibs/kabc which does not support
> LDAP directly.
This should be marked as deprecated as soon as the above one is ready
to be moved to kdepimlibs/akonadi/contact/

>         - An LDAP search in kdepim/libkdepim/ldapsearchdialog.cpp,
> based on KLDAP.
This one has been dropped in favor of KLDAP::LdapSearchDialog (see below)

>         - Another LDAP search in
> kdepim/libkdepim//kaddressbook/xxport/ldap/ldapsearchdialog.cpp, based
> on KPIM.
This one has been renamed to KLDAP::LdapSearchDialog and moved to kdepimlibs/kldap

Ciao,
Tobias