[Kde-pim] Git migration rules

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:43:38 GMT 2010

Thomas McGuire wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 09 March 2010 19:17:31 Torgny Nyblom wrote:

>> > If a branch has already been merged, does it need a name? Can't we just
>> > keep its history and not give it a name?
>>
>> Yes but... Then we need to be certain about what branches we should keep
>> since all others (not merged with history) will be lost.
>>
>> So if someone can give me a list of these branches and we are 100% sure
>> about them, yes.
>
> Ok, these branches need to exist in the repo, they are still active:
> - trunk
> - the X.Y branches (well not sure if we need them all, but at least the
> 4.Y
>   ones, for the occasional securtiy fix)
> - akonadi-ports (Akregator is there)
> - enterprise (KDE3-based, still active development)
> - enterprise4 (still Kleopatra-related development)
>
> Branches that are fully merged, which we don't need as a branch in the
> repo: - branches/kdepim/soc
> - branches/work/kdab-post-4.0
> - branches/kdepim/proko2
> - branches/work/kdepim-3.5.5+
> - branches/kdepim/kmail-soc
> - branches/kdepim/scalix
> - make-it-cool branch
> - osnabrück branch
> - branches/work/~vkrause
>
> No idea about the other branches here.
>
> I also found a bunch of branches in /branches/kdepim/, all of them (except
> the ones mentioned above) don't need a branch in the repo, including them
> in the history should be enough.
>
> Now to some special enterprise issues:
> There is branches/kdepim/enterprise/kde-l10n/ and
> branches/kdepim/enterprise4/l10n-kde4/. I don't think they should be
> included in the kdepim repo. Can they be added to a seperate repo instead,
> for example kdepim-enterprise-translations (with two branches)?

Can't they stay in svn with the rest of the KDE translations?

> Then branches/kdepim/enterprise4 contains a bunch of forks of kdelibs and
> kdebase. I have no idea what to do with them, but we can't loose them.
> Maybe add as branches to the main kdelibs and kdebase repos?

What we can do is have enterprise clones of kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdepim and
kdebase(-runtime ?), separate to the official KDE clones of each. We can
have all of the branches we want in the enterprise clones and make
enterprise releases from those clones. All of the other branch work I
described separately would also be pushed to the enterprise clone instead of
the official KDE clone so as not to get in other peoples way.

> Next point: enterprise and enterprise4 contain a "packaging" subdir, which
> I think shouldn't be included in the kdepim repo either. Can we have a
> seperate repo kdepim-packaging or kdepim-enterprise-packaging for that,
> with two branches? Just like kdepim-enterprise-translations.

This could also be a candidate for including in the enterprise clone.

> That should cover the enterprise branches, I think.
>
> The "runtime" subdir of kdepim should be added to a seperate repo, kdepim-
> runtime.

That sounds very inconvenient. Is it worth it? Remember that move-with-
history doesn't work between different repos (it does work across different
clones of the same repo of course).

> Torgny, you and Ingo are communicating with each other to coordinate, I
> assume? Also, is there a wiki page with all information or is everything
> in this thread?

My rsync'd version of the kde svn is also probably nearing completion, so
I'll need to catch up with you guys too.

> Thanks,
> Thomas

All the best,

Steve.