[Kde-pim] GSoC: Easy Import and Export of all PIM data in Kontact

Maciek Zarzycki zarzych at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 23:50:51 GMT 2010

On Friday 26 March 2010 08:15:36 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> The recipes would contain the config variables that need to be extracted
> from the apps' config files in order to find e.g. the folder that kmail
> stores its data in, which can be whatever the user wishes. It would also
> contain the "conversion" rules that might be needed for importing data
> from another app. This way the user does not need to know where the data
> is stored or where to get the recipes but just uses the "get hot new
> stuff" framwork to search for the application he wants to back-up,
> install/update the recipe, ticks/unticks the types of data he wants to
> back-up, e.g. mail and addressbook while excluding the calendar for kmail
> and is ready to go.
>
> If such a mechanism is in place the backup-tool could easily be used not
> only for PIM but all other apps as well and using recipes for
> importing/exporting would allow to profit from the community and save time
> for the maintainer of the backup-tool.

I like this idea, but I have some problem imagining the implementation. If I
get it right, you propose to create some generic import/export tools (eg.
import folder, export from akonadi, etc) and then parametrize them with the
recipes. Is that correct? If yes, then the recipes would need to contain list
of variables to look for (this part is clear to me). But they would also need
to include some kind of scripts for the "conversion" part (eg. mbox to maildir
conversion). I have problem seeing an elegant solution for this. Do you have
something specific in mind? Or did I get it totally wrong and overcomplicated?

> An nice feature on top of the basic functionality might also be to allow
> the user to import/export data he tagged via nepomuk, i.e. create a
> back-up of all things tagged as "backup".

This is indeed nice, but I think that it's the easy part here :). I'm more
worried about your recipes concept.

Cheers,
Maciek