[Kde-pim] GSoC: Easy Import and Export of all PIM data in Kontact

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 24 11:19:29 GMT 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-03-24, Maciek Zarzycki wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010 00:19:00 you wrote:
> > A generic import/export dialog might be interesting for a lot of KDE
> > applications. I think of Konqueror bookmarks, akregator, kopete,
> > konversation, etc.
>
> I am just starting coding for KDE so I didn't aim that high, but it sounds
> like a good idea. Do you think I should post it kde-devel?

We had a GSOC project for a general userdata backup/restore application called
Kamion [1] but work on it has stalled.

While Import/Export are to some extend part of a backup situation, they can go
way beyond that use case, e.g. importing from a foreign storage format, maybe
including foreign metadata, account settings, etc.

One of the advantages of doing this for PIM is that all data is (will be)
accessed through the same API, Akonadi, thus allowing to share more code
between handlers for specific data types.

We have some code for importing (or rather migrating) data and settings from
legacy KDE PIM storage methods, but a generalization ideally capable of
importing all data types and related settings from other PIM suites, e.g
Evolution, would be a really nice addition to our offerings.

I would be willing to mentor that.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://kamion2.sourceforge.net/