[Kde-pim] Using gold linker as default

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 16:07:54 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 24. Juni 2010, 15:38:41 schrieb Tobias Koenig:
> Stephen told me that in (k)ubuntu binutils-gold overwrites the linker from
> the binutils package. So if you want to switch back to GNU ld you have to
> reinstall the binutils package.

That is only half the truth.

In Kubuntu 10.04 and later everything is behaving as described for Debian.

Before gold:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2010-06-24 16:23 /usr/bin/ld -> ld.bfd
After installation of binutils-gold
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2010-06-24 16:33 /usr/bin/ld -> ld.gold

Since Kevin brought up the question why binutils-gold is not using update-
alternatives (presumbly the Debina package is not either). The main binutils
maintainer for Ubuntu reasoned as following:
If binutils-gold is installed one can savely assume that gold is used, since
the user cannot easily change the ld link, and in fact is not supposed to in
this case. This makes support and bug triage a whole lot easier...

If you disagree about that, please file a bug report with Debian and/or Ubuntu
;)

Now what you can do is manually change the link to point to what you want OR,
which is the better idea (because of the way it is packaged) you should just
define the appropriate linker manually via cmake argument foo. I would
recommend to have a shell alias here - ldcmake or goldcmake or something.

Additionally I'd like to mention that in Kubuntu 9.10 ld is not a link, as
indicated by Stephen, but binutils-gold will also not overwrite the ld binary,
instead it will divert the binary (i.e. move it somehwer else). This
essentially means ld will be the gold linker and the GNU linker will be usable
as ld.single.
Anything before 9.10 does not have binutils-gold available, should you require
it for an older version, please consult a Kubuntu developer near you (at least
for 9.04 a gold deb can easily be provided).

regards,
Harald