[Kde-pim] SyncML meeting - conclusions

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Fri Jun 4 10:11:24 BST 2010

Hi,
since the meeting has been quite messy for various reasons, I offered to
provide a little summary for everyone on how things went.

After some discussion on the frameworks and on the various possibilities we
had, we reached some kind of consensus on the following proposal, done by me.
I report it here for further (eventual) discussion.

The plan:

- Akunambol
The plan would be to use Akunambol as main KDE syncing solution. What it would
provide is user interaction, an interface, an autosyncer and stuff like that.
It will also provide an abstract interface to load backends (syncevo or
funambol, or eventually more in the future) ala phonon. We already asked Dario
Freddi for some insight on this and he says that, given our requirements, it's
easily feasible.

- Funambol
This is the backend that we have already ready, and which works well. It is
not capable to directly sync a phone via bluetooth but is quite solid for
standard web usage. It will be, at least at the beginning, the default backend
which will ship with akunambol.

- GSoC and SyncEvolution
Dinesh agreed that he will continue working on the SyncEvolution backend.
Since he is just getting familiar with the code, we agreed that instead of
replicating things and starting a new interface, he would just code an
Akunambol backend, which can be shipped with akunambol when it's ready, and
that the users can choose and load at runtime.

There is no commitment or decision for now on which backend to use as default
in the future, and we will decide when the SyncEvolution one becomes ready for
production use. The points in favor of Funambol is that it's quite solid and
already ready, SyncEvolution has from its side more advanced features.

Me, Sandro Munda(?) and Micheal Zanetti will continue working on akunambol,
leaving the rest of the guys able to concentrate on syncevolution and KDE
integration.
This way we think that we can reduce manpower wasting and be able to ship in
short times a working KDE syncing solution, which already works and that is
future-proof by the means of backend switching.

Bye,
-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום