[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/runtime

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jun 1 08:21:09 BST 2010

On Tuesday 1 June 2010 01:51:19 Casey Link wrote:
> SVN commit 1133037 by link:
>
> Make the IMAP resource store its encryption setting as a string, rather
> then an integer representation of an enum.
>
> THIS WILL BREAK YOUR CURRENT IMAP SETUPS!

What do you mean by "break" here? Keep in mind that there's probably some
users with this resource configured already (as the first release with the
imap resource was the 4.4 one). We have to make sure we're not alienating
those.

> Short rationale: "SSL" is more understandable than "1"

Well, only if you actually get to read the config file itself... Otherwise on
the C++ side it lessen the type safety IMO. I generally don't like to rely on
strings which might have a typo.

> Longer rationale:  There are two enums used to
> represent encryption settings in kdepim, each with different values and
> orders. The result was hell whenever you had to reference the enum by
> integer value (like in javascript). Storing it as a String makes it
> easier and removes all ambiguity as to what the value represents.

If really the main motive is the javascript side of things, why not bind said
enums to the javascript interpreter instead of using strings or magic values?

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net