[Kde-pim] Alternative calendar dates

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 22:26:02 BST 2010

On 2 June 2010 03:41, John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Next up is the Jewish Holidays plugin for KOrganizer.  This enables you to
> display Jewish dates and holidays in the day views of KOrganizer (Settings >
> Configure Calendar > Plugins > Jewish Calendar Plugin).  However it's not well
> integrated, it's just text decoration, it doesn't affect days-off or the
> calendar system used.

The Jewish Calendar Plugin should _not_ affect days off or the
calendar system used. Days off should be in a calendar file, and the
calendar system used is configured in System Settings. It is important
to stress that although the Jewish Calendar is widely used in Israel,
it is very rarely the primary calendar by which one lives their life
(scheduling events). Therefore it is imperative that the use of the
Jewish calendar not interfere with the usage of the Gregorian calendar
as the main KDE calendar.

From my experience with users (about eight or so Jewish Calendar
Plugin users, out of 20 or so KDE users) what is most sorely missing
is recurring events on the Jewish Calendar. But again, this must not
interfere with the use of the Gregorian calendar as the primary
calendar. I also miss this feature.

The second most widely-asked feature is for the Jewish day to
start/end at sundown, and not at 24:00 as it currently does now. I
personally have no need for it, but it has been asked at least three
or more times.

I personally would like the Shabbat times to be on the calendar, but
that's just me!

> Besides holidays, some other areas that I'm looking at for alternative
> calendars (not just Hebrew) include figuring out how to support Jewish
> birthdays and other personal commemorative days, a better way of displaying a
> second calendar date in the day/week/month views, and recurring calendar
> events calculated using alternative calendars.

Thanks for your work on that, John! KDE-PIM is the _only_ FOSS PIM
that is usable here in Israel due to the Jewish Calendar Plugin, and
your work will be sure (as in, I already know some of them) to help
some people move to a FOSS operating system.

Your work is appreciated!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il