[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/runtime

Casey Link casey at kdab.com
Tue Jun 1 13:42:38 BST 2010

> Aside from the things already noted by the other guys, why the
> inconsistency? Why not STARTSSL orTLS?

I plan to go everywhere and change appropriate references from TLS to
STARTTLS.

The problem is that in kmail code every instance of TLS actually refers to
STARTTLS, something different than TLS.

Officially there are two designations: TLS and STARTTLS.
In reality, SSL was renamed to TLS, so TLSv1 basically equals SSLv3.
SSLv2 != SSLv1 != TLS

My point is, 90% of these instances (config dialogs, javascript wizards) do
not care about the particular version of encryption, they just need to specify
TLS/SSL or STARTTLS.

The pieces of the apps that do actually connecting should try to negotiate on
the standard (TLSv1/SSLv3) then fall back to older (SSLv2) protocols if
required, OR use STARTTLS if configured.

So in short: I was inconsistent in order to be correct, and I plan to go back
and change everything so it is correct and consistent.

> And doing string<->enum mappings in several places manually instead of
> converter methods in LoginJob or an util namespace?
Hm, good idea. I'll do it in LoginJob.

Casey