[Kde-pim] Kolab migrations

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 4 17:52:41 BST 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-06-02, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while just wanting to check how KMail assigns nice icons to Kolab folders
> (haven't found that yet), I discovered a little bug in kres-migrator.
>
> That bug currently prevents it from creating Akonadi Kolab resources.
>
> As weird as it may sound this is currently a good thing, because the Kolab
> Proxy resource is kind of empty without the IMAP resource accessing the
> respective server.
>
> kmail-migrator will of course create the IMAP resource (and import the
> cache), but it is run when KMail2 is started.
>
> I can see two scenarios:
>
> 1) bridged Kolab resources
> due to the bug, kres-migrator will have created bridge resources for Kolab
>
> 2) manually created Akonadi resource
> some people (not very likely IMHO) might have created the correct setup
> (IMAP resource + Kolab proxy resource) manually
>
> This leads to a couple of questions:
>
> - should kmail-migrator somehow trigger final migration of (1)?
> - should kmail-migrator detect (2)?
> - should kres-migrator (once fixed) trigger KMail migration?
> - will be get into troubles when Kontact is starting, potentially
> triggering both migrators simlutaniously?

I decided to ignore (2) for now and concentrate on (1).
To trigger the migration we can just increase the target version in the
installed config file, so no need to call explicitly from kmail-migrator.

However, I've run into a problem we didn't obviously anticipate:
The migrator uses the KRES::Manager for the respective type to read the
bridge's KResource plugin config.

Which fails because the plugn type (in this case "imap") is no longer known.

So my guess is we need to add explicit support for the removed types, right?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring