[Kde-pim] [kde-promo] Akonadi messaging strategy

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 22:41:35 BST 2010

On Saturday 17 July 2010 15:28:30 Dion Moult wrote:
> On Saturday 17 July 2010 06:48:46 Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> > > Correct me if I am wrong, but "KDE PIM 4.5 will be able to connect to
> > > most calendar servers out on the web" does not belong in the "do cool
> > > things with Akonadi TODAY". I don't think PIM 4.5 is yet available to
> > > the masses.
> > >
> > > In the "what will be possible" section, there seems to be quite a few
> > > repetitions, such as the "access to data from everywhere, seamless", and
> > > the "easier to connect to services". Or the single sub bullet under
> > > "synchronize with anything" should be made top level. Simple grammatical
> > > errors there can be fixed quickly.
> >
> > Please just fix the simple stuff - if things might be controversial ask
> > here, but simple things - just fix ;-)
> >
> > > The header "it solves real world issues" is repeated in the first bullet
> > > "EXAMPLES of real world issues solved by Akonadi ", don't repeat it.
> > >
> > > What is "KDE PIM Messaging " under the "issues it might have that might
> > > bight you" section?
> > >
> > > Seems to be some wiki markup problem in the "distro communication"
> > > section on what you shouldn't ship, and in the "quality" section.
> > >
> > > Good progress so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished page.
>
> (Sorry Jos, I forgot to CC kde-promo and kde-pim on this and ended up only
> sending it to you)
>
> Actually I recall this thread from a while back. I was quite busy then tending
> to exams but now that they're over I decided to spend this morning fixing the
> page up. I've made it much more concise whilst still keeping all the details
> intact. I've moved things around here and there where they would be more
> appropriate and removed some of the repetitive things.
>
> It's now a nice lean page for anybody to read and immediately understand
> exactly what Akonadi is, why it's beneficial, and how KDE loves its users and
> understands the possible issues that may occur.
>
> There we go:
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/Akonadi
>
> Comments much appreciated.

I like it. What I currently miss on the page are soundbites, short pieces people will need. It is quite a bit of text, and it'd be good to see if there is stuff duplicated (seems not to be the case) or not really needed (there might be some). We need to ship this to people at booths, and as such it needs to be as short as possible - we can't force our booth dudes and dudettes to read 20 pages of text before they start doing their thing... Bullet points are good ;-)