[Kde-pim] Notifications on KMail

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 15:27:08 BST 2010

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 14:40:04 Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> So, I changed the messagecomposer/composerviewbase.cpp code in order
> to not show KMessageBox'es anymore. As it's a class that should not
> deal with the UI ideally it just emits signals whenever something
> wrong or right happened.
>
> For Kmail-mobile I'm using that signal with KNotify in order to get
> notifications on the mobile environment and my question is: for the
> desktop version, should we use KMessageBox'es or switch to KNotify?

I think there are two different kinds of errors we could get while sending
mail:

1) "Could not sent the mail you just wrote because you did XYZ wrong", e.g.
selected invalid receivers, invalid crypto keys, etcs. Those probably should
be message boxes since they require the user to fix something to proceed
(usually in the composer itself, aborting the send/close action).

2) "Could not sent a mail because we are currently not connected to a
network", ie. transient errors that will eventually go away. Those should be
passive popups/notifications.

I'm not sure what kind of errors composerviewbase.cpp will emit exactly, I'd
guess only the first one.

regards
Volker