[Kde-pim] unwanted akonadi startup - how to kill it?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 3 21:03:56 GMT 2010

On Sunday 03 January 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 03 January 2010 19:09:44 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have some old root mail in /var/spool/mail/root.  My intention
> > was to check in kwrite that there was only old messages, then
> > delete it. However, as soon as I clicked on it (in root dolphin) it
> > attempted to start up akonadi.  It's still whizzing back and forth,
> > and I can't find a way to stop it.
>
> It was in fact trying to start a new KMail, and I did eventually
> manage to kill it.

KMail is configured as viewer of single (saved) email messages and of
mbox files. Eventually, those files should be opened in the standalone
message viewer without Akonadi. Hmm, I wonder how we can solve this
problem as the viewer would need to be able to show messages provided
in different formats by different protocols. This necessity is exactly
what Akonadi was supposed to remove. Using an ad-hoc Akonadi resource
to view a single saved message appears to be overkill. I guess we
should discuss this at our KDE PIM meeting in Osnabrück next weekend.

Regards,
Ingo