[Kde-pim] Something for the weekend?

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Thu Jan 7 16:18:45 GMT 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010 15:19:17 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Note that items 5 and 6 are descendants of different parents in each view.
> Is there any existing application where that is possible? That is, where
> an  item could be shown as a child of different items in a useful way in
> different applications?
>
> As far as I know email threading will always have the same structure, even
> if sorting or filtering is applied. That is, if the above represents
> emails,  8 would be a reply to 6 would be a reply to 4 in the first
> structure so the second would not be possible.

I am not sure if this assumption holds in the mail model. There, we also have
aggregation modes which groups items under group headers like "Today" and "2
weeks ago". There group headers are dynamic and have no corresponding Akonadi
Item, they are built on the fly when the model is loaded.
These group headers obviously change, for example a mail thread is moved from
"Today" to "Yesterday" when the date changes. If sorting by most recent in
subtree is enabled, mail threads can even change the group when new mail
arrives and is sorted into a mail thread.

So the current message list is quite flexible. No idea if that has anything to
do with what you said, I just wanted to give more food for thought.

Regards,
Thomas