[Kde-pim] So-Long KNotes?

thorsten at staerk.de thorsten at staerk.de
Sun Jan 10 15:26:41 GMT 2010

> On Saturday 09 January 2010 22:27:43 Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Allen Winter wrote:
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > We decided to kill KNotes for KDE 4.5.  Correct?
>> > KJots is the planned replacement.
>>
>> Should be. However, the version in akonadi-ports is far away from
>> being useful. I estimate that a the port is a little more than half
>> done. The missing bits are mainly text/rich text stuff etc.
>>
>> > Any last arguments to convince us to save KNotes?
>>
>> 1) We need to have some way to migrate knotes into akonadi notes that
>> can be read with an akonadi application. That's not done yet.
>> 2) There is so far no way to import KJots notes into akonadi notes
>> yet.
>> 3) We can remove knotes when kjots (akonadi version implemented) gets
>> merged into trunk. I don't see any rush.
>> 4) I don't know the knotes code, but we could probably implement a
>> replacement using plasma? Seeing as we need to implement "notes in a
>> plasma context" anyway, having a plasma version could be good because
>> a) it means knotes doesn't go away, which could be good from a
>> perspection POV, b) people like things using plasma, so we can get
>> good vibes from that potentially.
>>
> From the user POV, a migration path is essential.  There are going to be a
> lot
> of upset users if KNotes disappears and they can't use something else to
> read
> existing notes.
>
> Anne

right, I suggest a reminder like we have it for ktimetracker. The reminder
is called karm (because that is what the user will call) and just says:
"karm has been renamed to ktimetracker. Please learn to call
\"ktimetracker\" in the future."
So far for the user-awareness-migration, the data migration path might be
more tricky :|

regards

Thorsten