[Kde-pim] Distribution lists lost?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Jan 5 18:54:50 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 17:43:48 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:08:03AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 04 January 2010 19:11:45 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
> Hej Anne,
>
> > Actually, KAddressBook seems to be severely broken - unless features are
> > deeply hidden.  I have a three panel display - with the right-hand panel
> > being empty and devoid of header, so a total mystery.
>
> That means the migration didn't work as expected :(

OK - any tests I can do, just shout.

> What happens if you right click on the left panel, choose 'Add Address
>  Book' and in the appearing dialog 'Personal Contacts'. In the
>  configuration dialog you can keep the default values, they should point to
>  the directory where your migrated contacts have been stored.

That's interesting.  There was an existing resource, Address Book, which, up
to now, was empty.  I accepted the default setting,
/home/anne/.local/share/contacts/, and suddenly it was populated with *almost*
the same set as the std.vcf addressbook.  I say 'almost' as it has at least
one entry that isn't in the other one - and it's not a recent one.

> > There is no option to show or add a distribution list (although the
> > context menu in the centre panel does give me 'Add a Group'.
>
> Distribution lists are called 'Contact Groups' now and will be listed
>  together with the contacts in the middle panel.

I can see an entry for club members, and one in the new resource for club
committee members, but since I can't see any details of any contacts, I can't
tell whether the information exists or not.  I assume that details should show
in the third, right-hand pane?

> > In fact, the whole thing seems to be a sub-set of what
> > I'm used to.The Edit Contact sheet shows no details from the existing
> > contact
>
> Hmm? What exactly to you mean here?

Image attached - that is called up to edit an existing contact.

> > and nowhere do I see any reference to Category.
>
> We want to use the Nepomuk tags for categories and I want to discuss which
>  widget to use for categories in Osnabrueck as well... be patient :)

OK, fine.  Are the existing category entries lost, though?  Will they all have
to be re-entered?

Kdepim has been the organising light of my life for several years, so it's
very important to me to help all I can to identify problems, and, hopefully,
solve them.  Is there anything I can do to help you know what went wrong with
the migration?

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group