[Kde-pim] Feedback possible for support of Base64/UUE/QP/... in Okteta

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Jan 21 12:15:53 GMT 2010

Hi,

don't know if that is of interest to many of you, but perhaps to some:

I am currently working on adding some more encoders to Okteta, the KDE hex
editor. Okteta of the SC 4.4 already comes with a streamencoder for Base64, so
you can both copy to clipboard or save as new file the currently selected
bytes in the Base64 format. The last days I have now also added
* Uuencoding (historical, Base64, Xxencoding),
* Base32 (classic, Base32Hex, z-base-32) and
* Base85 (Ascii85 for now)
to trunk. I skipped Quoted-printable for the time being, as the RFCs I read
were too complicated for late-night hacks* ;) Import is not yet there at all,
missing the internal infrastructure, but that could change in the next months.

My focus is now turning to support executable binary formats and to non-format
stuff. But I can imagine that those of you working on handling of transported
data could find some GUI support for manipulating your testing data useful. If
you do, now would still be a good time to get in contact with me to see how
Okteta might be a nice tool also for you :)

* someone willing to help while writing the encoder?

Looking forward to some feedback/cooperation,
Cheers
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta