[Kde-pim] Akonadi backend in SyncEvolution

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Jan 13 12:58:11 GMT 2010

Hello!

My port of Sascha's Funambol Akonadi backend to SyncEvolution was
working on Sunday evening. Sascha told Kevin and me that he is fine with
making that public, so I pushed the "akonadi" branch into our git repo.
Sascha will continue with it there.

I did some more testing today and added the necessary config changes so
that spouse/manager/assistant/anniversary are stored in Akonadi as
X-KADDRESSBOOK-*. In the Funambol-based solution they were exchanged as
X-KADDRESSBOOK with SyncML servers and probably got lost there, now they
are translated to X- and X-EVOLUTION- on the SyncML side. Most servers
support one of these.

I haven't tested other data categories. Open issues around that are
marked as TODO in the source (typically would also apply to the previous
solution):
      * calendar/tasks: store VTIMEZONE together with VEVENT/VTODO
        inside VCALENDAR in payload?
      * memos: conversion to plain text needed, servers don't support
        VJOURNAL
      * need possibility to select collections by screen name, so that
        we can create
        SyncEvolution_Test_vcard30/ical20/itodo20/text_[12] collections
        and use "client-test" to run automated tests against them

Regarding testing, test data currently used by
vcard30/ical20/itodo20/text is Evolution specific - at least vcard30 is,
it might not matter for the others. After getting testing to work at
all, it might make sense to create KDE specific test data.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.