[Kde-pim] Planning the 4.5 development cycle

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 14:33:54 GMT 2010

Hi,

this is mostly a summary of some of things that have been discussed regarding
the 4.5 development cycle during the annual KDE PIM meeting last weekend in
Osnabrück, especially for those that weren't able to attend.

The most important thing IMHO in this regard was the discussion about whether
we should depend on the latest stable release of kdelibs (and thus a whole
lot of other stuff as well, like Soprano) or on latest trunk.

Depending on trunk makes it trivial to push some of our stuff there and use it
right away (eg. Stephen's model work), and to use the latest cool features
from there. Downside is of course a lot of compilation overhead for those of
us without a big icecream cluster at hand.
Using the stable release makes it therefore easier to contribute, you can even
build against distro kdelibs packages for example. It also protects us from
temporary kdelibs regressions a lot better. This of course also has its
downsides, ensuring that everything builds and works correctly with two
kdelibs versions is a bit of work. It also makes the code a bit ugly
sometimes, introducing #ifdefs and temporary local copies of new kdelibs
classes.

Historically, KDE PIM depended on the latest stable kdelibs during the final
years of KDE 3 development (don't know about before), and that worked quite
fine. This model had to be changed with KDE 4 where kdelibs initially wasn't
mature enough (ie. there was simply no latest *stable* release) and we needed
a lot of the newest features. This has changed again IMHO.

Additionally, you might have heard that the Kolab Konsortium (KK), that is
KDAB and Intevation, has been able to secure sizeable funding for stabilizing
Akonadi and bring it onto mobile devices. Given a larger team involved here
than ever before, tighter schedules and some trouble with unfortunately timed
kdelibs changes/regressions during last year's projects, KK favors the
dependency on the latest stable kdelibs as well and is willing to do the
necessary work, that is ensure that things build with 4.4.

Therefore, it has been decided to use the latest stable kdelibs (4.4.x) as a
minimum requirement for the 4.5 relrease cycle of kdepimlibs and kdepim (you
can of course keep using trunk just as well if you prefer, nothing changes
there). I hope everybody is fine with that.

regards
Volker