[Kde-pim] nepomuk / virtuoso and huge number of file descriptors

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Feb 4 19:52:18 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 03 February 2010, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> running 4.4 RC3 (openSuse 11.2) I found that there seems to be a
> massive problem with nepomukstorage and virtuoso using (leaking?) a
> huge number of file descriptor. I'm logged in since 2 days or so and
> now I have the following: /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
> using 1023 open file descriptors /usr/bin/virtuoso-t using 992 open
> file descriptors
>
> Also akonadiserver uses now 553 open file descriptors.
> and /bin/dbus-daemon also uses 577.
>
> I've seen that once dbus-daemon reaches the 1024 limit, you can do
> nothing anymore with the whole desktop.
>
> I don't know if all 4 are linked somehow.
> My current setup is: kmail, korganizer, kaddressbook all are running
> as standalone apps more or less the whole time.
> Stopping akonadi (akonadictl stop) brings the dbus-daemons fd usage
> down to just a few. After I now stopped korganizer and kaddressbook,
> restarted akonadi, the dbus-daemon uses just 79 open file
> descriptors.
> This does not change anything in the problem with nepomuk and
> virtuoso. Note that I have not enabled strigi file indexing.
>
> As I see this a major problem, in my eyes a 4.4 blocker,
> what additional information can I provide to help solve this ?

I'm seeing the same problem with a slightly older KDE SC 4.4 RC2. KDE is
running for about an hour.

dbus-daemon has ~180 open sockets, e.g.
dbus-daem 3468       ingo  188u     unix 0xffff88004ed3e3c0       0t0
42711 socket

/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage has 200+ open sockets, e.g.
nepomukse 3563       ingo  262u     unix 0xffff8800492949c0       0t0
160648 socket

/usr/bin/virtuoso-t has 200+ times /tmp/virt_1111, e.g.
virtuoso- 3571       ingo  220u     unix 0xffff880036ec1380       0t0
160649 /tmp/virt_1111

akonadiserver has 100+ open sockets, e.g.
akonadise 4541       ingo  173u     unix 0xffff8800459aa980       0t0
160638 socket

I have no idea what to make of this.

Regards,
Ingo