[Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Karsten Ehrlich karsten at gruess-code.de
Mon Feb 15 20:32:37 GMT 2010

Am Mittwoch, 10. Februar 2010 23:50:46 schrieb Gunter Ohrner:
> Gunter Ohrner wrote:
>
> SyncEvolution is needed on the N900 as this device implements SyncML but
> only can use it via USB and bluetooth, and there does not seem to be any
> software able to sync Akonadi via USB and/or bluetooth using SyncML.
>
> Mh, that's somehow more complicated than I had hoped for - syncing my
> Palm using kpilot did not require any additional infrastructure ;) - but
> I think at least I got it now...

I think we should have the infrastructure within KDE SC to sync mobile devices
via USB and Bluetooth.
To me (as a long time KDE user) it is one of the biggest disadvantages we have
right now compared to other major desktop environments.

It may be a good idea to to have one (or more) GSOC projects to provide the
infrastructure for syncing mobile devices with KDE software (Akonadi, Amarok,
DigiKam, etc)

> Does anyone think it would be possible and usuable to install a local
> egroupware server on my PC, configure KDE PIM to access egroupware using
> XMLRPC as it's main / default ressources and sync my Palm and possibly
> the N900 with my local egroupware server using SyncML?

At the moment i use a Kolab server to sync my appointments between Kontact and
a Nokia N80. At least on the N80 i don't use additional software as the built
in SyncML client is able to connect to the server via WLAN.

But i don't think this is what "Joe Average" wants to do. He wants to plug his
USB cable in or connect via Bluetooth to his desktop and hit some sync button.

IMHO the needed pieces are somewhere deep within the KDE svn: An Akonadi
ressource for SyncML, KBluetooth and USB support. We just need someone to put
this together.