[Kde-pim] thanks and farewell

George Bourozikas george at bourozikas.net
Fri Feb 19 16:13:50 GMT 2010

I had been a happy KDE user for years.  I started using it over ten
years ago, when it was the only viable choice for non-western alphabet
support.

Unfortunately I am giving up.  I don't know, there is something about
needing a database server to see my address book that puts me off.  It
would have been Ok if it worked, but with 4.4 most about everything on
my system broke.  There are workarounds, I know, and eventually it might
work but it's just become too frustrating for me.

So I switched to Gnome/Thunderbird with a little Google thrown in for
good measure.  I was surprised to see how my productivity improved.  I
miss the aesthetics of the KDE desktop but there is something liberating
about not being able to tweak everything under the sun.  I just get my
work done. (Apple figured that out twenty-six years ago.)

The applications have improved as well.  A year ago I would not have
been satisfied with Thunderbird but it has come a long way with version
3.  I almost don't miss KMail.  Ditto with Google calendar.  Despite it
being web-based, it's very featureful and I find it much more intuitive
that KOrganizer.

Before I leave the list I want to thank all the users and developers who
have helped me over the years.  Especially with Palm integration - this
help has been crucial.  This is one of the most civilized and helpful
mailing lists I have come across.

Thanks again,
--george