[Kde-pim] KMail problems

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:25:58 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 24 Feb 2010 21:43:38 John Aldrich wrote:
> WTF is up with KMail? Ever since I installed a bunch of updates this
> morning, KMail started having problems. I got a brilliant idea and
> decided to see if restarting KMail would solve the problem. Well, it
> didn't. It caused more problems. Now I can't get into KMail -- it
> loads but I can't do anything -- and there's a message on my system
> (at home -- logged into it from remote) stating "starting akonadi
> server." Now WTF is that and why is it not starting???
> Is there any way to get KMail going again??? Is KMail being replaced
> by Evolution (God forbid!)???

John,

Please see the KDE Code of Conduct at http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/,
posting in such a manner will not encourage anyone to help you.  You also do
not provide enough information for anyone to help you (distro, KMail version,
previous KMail version, etc).

As your problems resulted from an update to your system, I would suggest your
first port-of-call should be your distributions support channels to see if
other users of your distribution have the same issues, in which case it may be
a packaging or configuration error by the distribution.  If not a distribution
issue then your second port-of-call would be either http://forum.kde.org/, the
http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact and http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi.

John.