[Kde-pim] Marketing, KDE PIM and You

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:41:53 GMT 2010

Hi,

Sorry it has taken so long to follow up on this. Thanks for the replies,
pointers and offers for help. I know the focus of kde-promo at the moment is
4.4 stuff, but I wanted to get this out so it's done and we can come back to
it.

I'll start the page on communitybase as suggested by Aaron with stuff we
discussed at Osnabruck last month. Hopefully I can do that later today.
Stuff relevant to padams' presentation is probably a good start.

Some more summary, open issues other feedback:

Readme file for packagers of kde pim has been created and kde-packagers have
been notified. This will hopefully reduce the amount of user pain with
misconfigured setups.

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/README.packagers?view=markup

I poked tokoe again about reviewing/adding to the kaddressbook/pim section
of the release announcement/feature guide. I know it's in google docs
somewhere but I can't find it. Can someone paste the relevant paragraph here
to make it easy?

It's likely content from here is useful:
http://tokoe-kde.blogspot.com/2009/09/kaddressbook-and-akonadi-in-
kde-44.html

Is it too late to add content to the feature guide? I saw that the release
announcement is being sent to translators, so I presume that's stable.

I'll write some sort of example application when I get back to Berlin of a
different way to handle pim data than how we currently handle it. I
encourage other kde pim developers to do the same. It doesn't have to be in
a releasable state. The idea is to show what is possible using
nepomuk/akonadi and make a blog and screenshot or video about it and ask
some planet readers to become new developers and run with the idea or add
their own. kde pim does not need to be boring like kontact currently is. We
can have smooth corners and colourful buttons too.

Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> People update their Google Contacts from their iPod, they want to see the
> update in Kontact. How does that work?

I'll poke Savago to make a video or write something about this.

sebas wrote:
> - What are the expectations of {developers,users} on these platforms?
>   - Can KDE PIM as it currently stands cater to them?
>   - Does it make sense to focus on a certain group?

I believe the kde pim platform caters to developers now and that's something
I think we agreed in Osna8 to be a good target group. The trick now is to
get the message out about how to get started and what can be possible.

> - How will the move to Akonadi (a.k.a. "The Promised Land") affect the
user
>   experience of existing users?
>   - Should we be careful ("this is the first akonadi-based KMail, it's
going to be a
>     bumpy ride, be prepared") or bold ("This is the best thing since
sliced bread was
>     invented, it rocks."). Probably some middle ground needs to be found
>   - What are the long term advantages?
>   - What might be short-term regressions?

KDE PIM 4.5 will fix some old bugs and inevitably add some new ones. We
won't be sure what they are until later in the 4.5 cycle, but with so much
newness, err on the side of caution and be careful, not bold.

sebas wrote:
> >Martin Feilner was receptive of the links we've already given, and
> > we can keep that up, and can consider making more paths to users in that
> > kind of direction.
>We have the KDE press channel, a mailing list with about 60 assorted
> journalists. We
> keep that one low-traffic, and only post pointers to make it really quick
> to read.
> It's a very effective way of getting timely coverage.

Yes, Martin is also already on the kde press channel. From the feedback he
gave, it is also useful to receive a note from developers about cool stuff
they're doing. I'll try to prod people about writing to the press list in
the future when there's cool stuff going on.

== Social networking ==

Currently the linkedin group is for kde pim contributors. I think it should
be expanded to anyone who wants to join. That way people can get
notifications through linkedIn about the cool stuff coming to kdepim in the
next release less than six months away. I wouldn't claim to know anything
about why people use these kind of websites (not a big fan myself), but from
articles I've read, that's exactly what people want to do on these kinds of
sites.

As far as I know we haven't got a twitter account yet. James could you sign
one up for us called kdepim?

Also for James as discussed at campkde here's some videos for the youtube
channel:

* http://blip.tv/file/get/Steveire-NotesInAkonadi566.ogv -- Info:
http://steveire.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/akonadi-applications-sharing-notes/

* http://blip.tv/file/get/Steveire-AkonadiInAWebBrowser563.ogv -- Info:
http://steveire.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/akonadi-goes-web2-0/

* http://blip.tv/file/get/Steveire-AkonadiInAction495.ogv -- Info:
http://steveire.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/cross-platform-akonadi-video/

Anyone else who wants to create videos about cool stuff in kdepim can follow
instructions here: http://community.kde.org/Promo/youtube

I just edited that page to add an action to add it to the kde youtube
channel, but I don't know what that is. Google gives me this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kdepromo

Is that the one we should all use? I suggest using just one
channel/playlist/whatever it's called and splitting into multimedia/pim etc
when there's too much content on the "main" one. Starting now with a split
would only leave tonnes of empty channels I think.

If you want to create a video, but don't know what to present, drop me an
email, or send email to kde-pim at kde.org for suggestions.

== People of kde pim ==

I spoke to blauzahl at campkde about doing a series about people of kde pim.
It turns out that the questions are not always the same which is unfortunate
because it makes each article a lot more work (perhaps the reason there has
not been an article in so long).

Changing it to use the same questions might be a good idea. The questions
here (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/24/an-interview-with-ubuntu-
geek/) are always the same in the series, but I can't find a page
aggregating responses. What do you think?

If blauzahl doesn't have time to keep up the series, we can probably just
write answers to standard questions ourselves and put that up as a series on
the dot.

All the best,

Steve.