[Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Feb 7 00:22:31 GMT 2010

Hi!

Patrick Ohly wrote:
>> I had found information about SyncEvolution before, but the website
>> states that it's able to sync only contacts for Maemo devices.

> Hmm, I'm trying very careful on syncevolution.org to describe what
> works on what platform. It is true that on Maemo, only contacts used
> to work, although that has changed recently in Maemo 5. But in the
> same paragraph it also describes that all the other PIM data works on
> other platforms, like desktop Linux with Evolution.

Yes, I had read that. As you wrote, Maemo 5 / the N900 were not yet
mentioned on this page.

Having never used SyncEvolution before, the implications of what was
written there were not clear to me. That's why I asked whether (and
guessed / hoped that) SyncEvolution would sync all PIM data if used on
the PC instead of on the mobile device.

So my assumption was wrong, and you cannot sync anything but contacts
between Evolution and another PIM data store, except if that "other
store" is another Evolution installation or a Maemo 5 device?

However, that'd still be ok for me, as if I try to sync Akonado with a
Maemo 5 device, and SyncEvolution supports all data types for Maemo and
for Akonadi (sometime in the future), I'd be able to sync everything,
right?

> KDE is not mentioned because it is not stable.

Yes, that's just what I assumed.

> Perhaps I should do it like Conduit and simply claim that
> SyncEvolution syncs everything, everywhere :-/

Mh, I prefer precise information. It just wasn't clear to me that you
need SyncEvolution on both sides of the connection and thus can only
sync the intersection of data types supported by SyncEvolution for both
platforms.

After reading the "About" page (and before posting my previous message),
I had assumed that you'd use SyncEvolution on the PC only and use some
kind of SyncML interface provided by the mobile device itself as the
counterpart, such that eg. syncing contacts and schedules with Evolution
would be possible as long as the mobile's SyncML-interface also
supported these data types.

Apparently, I got that part wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the insight and I will closely monitor SyncEvolutions
future progress, especially concerning its Akonadi module.

Greetings,

  Gunter