[Kde-pim] FOSDEM Talk: PIMp My Desktop

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:42:13 GMT 2010

Paul J. Adams wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> On Monday 01 Feb 2010 09:36:14 Paul J. Adams wrote:
>> Here is my request: If there is anything that you particularly want me to
>>  say for one of these parts, please let me know before Wednesday. This
>>  will give me plenty of time to prepare the talk.
>
> Please ensure you let me know today(!) if there is anything you want me to
> talk about at FOSDEM.

I'm not sure what your talk plan is from a high level, but I would like to
see emphasis on using akonadi/KDE PIM as a platform for new innovative
development (new applications) and how easy it is to write PIM resources for
Akonadi and why you would do that.

For the new applications part, a good point is that combining with nepomuk
allows us to access pim data not based on what type it is, but by what it
means. That is, we don't need one application for accessing emails and
another for accessing contacts. We can annotate specific emails and contacts
and access them based on that annotation.

For example if you are organizing my birthday party you might want to have
some interface on your computer showing the contacts who are invited along
with the email thread about what you're going to get for me (Don't worry,
it's not until November, you've plenty of time to decide :) ), and the event
in your calendar.

If you build kde pim with DBUILD_EXAMPLES (I think that's the switch) you
can get an entitytreemodel demo app. One of the tabs in it gets "your stuff"
from akonadi organized by nepomuk tags (virtual collections) instead of
storage location. ie, the pim items are organized by tag instead of by where
they come from. If you want I can probably send some screenshots of that. I
should blog about it anyway...

With regard to writing resources, by extension of the above, it is useful to
have as many resources for as many different data as possible. That way the
applications and nepomuk can get a better grasp of your data (recalling that
one point of nepomuk is to give your computer the same understanding of your
data and its meaning as you do). There's been a few good resources started
such as facebook, salesforce, google contacts etc. Resources are the best
extension point of kde pim I think.

Another point which many people find valuable is that as opposed to web
applications such as google ones (which offer integration of different types
of pim based on the assumption that you use google apps for all of your
stuff), you can have multiple repositories of stuff in multiple different
locations, and your computer (which you control) with nepomuk is the
integration point, instead of a harvesting web server being the integration
point.

You'll remember Bernhard talking about privacy management in Osnabruck.
http://dot.kde.org/2010/01/14/annual-osnabrück-pim-meeting-brings-exciting-
announcements-and-ambitious-plans

All the best,

Steve.