[Kde-pim] GSoC Proposal - basKet KDE SC 4 port

Dr. Robert Marmorstein robert at narnia.homeunix.com
Sat Feb 27 23:09:37 GMT 2010

> I had no idea development on basKet was even still active... Where are
> these two git repositories?

Kelvie's repository (http://gitorious.org/basket/basket) is sort of our master
development branch right now.  My changes go into

http://gitorious.org/~robertm/basket/robertm-basket

I've seen you on IRC and thought it was in #basket-devel, but I guess it must
have been #kpilot (or you probably would have known about these).  We're not
the most active project in KDE, but we have managed to get the KDE 4 port
pretty close to reality.

> I was actually going to do it the other way around; the element where the
> widgets would reside _is_ plasma, specifically a plasma containment which
> will probably be very close to plasma's desktop containment, only embedded
> as an applet. The user would be able to add custom plasma applets similar
> to basket's current applets.

Plasma applets usually need to be much smaller than stand-alone applications,
since they share space with other widgets and can't simply be minimized or
maximized when needed.  I would think that the layout you're proposing would
be hard to fit into a small enough widget, but perhaps I'm mistaken.  That's
why I like the "sticky note" interface better.  It would be a very lightweight
interface and would make it really easy to drag and drop things into my
baskets . . . but would fit nicely with my other plasmoids.

> But with the knowledge that there is indeed a KDE 4 basKet make me wonder
> if this is actually a useful idea.

I think it is still a good idea.  I can think of several use cases for having
a more lightweight interface for accessing basKet data . . .

However, a better approach might be to create an Akonadi resource for basKet
and use the existing plasmoids for KNotes.

On the other hand, I think adding Nepomuk support would be a much better
project.  In the current state of the code, I think it would be easier to
implement than Akonadi support.  It could also provide some really neat
features: improved searching and filtering functionality, the ability to
interface nicely semantic information from other applications (such as
Digikam), the ability to tie particular baskets to specific activities, etc.

If you're interested, I bet you could get an EXCELLENT GSoC proposal out of
that...

--Robert