[Kde-pim] Answering questions about akonadi etc - need clarification

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Wed Feb 17 15:49:52 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 03:37:17PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 February 2010 15:24:52 Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hej Anne,

> > > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:50:31] <toma>	annew: but that's only the
> > > cache you are backing up
> >
> > That are the 'cache data' Tom is talking about, might not include all of
> > your data!
> >
> Hmm - in that case, I'm not clear as to its purpose, unless it's as a last-
> ditch emergency cover.
It can be helpfull if you want to clone a system 1:1, then you can copy the
cached data together with the real data and the configuration, so you don't have
to load the data again from the sources (e.g. groupware server).

> > > Address Book - No KDE address book plugin configured yet.  This is the
> > > one that (presumably erroneously) I pointed to ~/.local/share/contacts.
> > > Modify starts up the wizard, which I haven't followed through, because
> > > as I will explain, I don't know where it needs to point to.
> >
> > No, that's the old compatibility bridge (possible be created by the
> > migrator tool). You should remove this one!
> >
> I'll do that.  But if my KDE Addressbook is not there, where is it?  Am I
> causing problems by trying to have separate addressbooks?  Should I just be
> using Groups or tagging to achieve this?
Your old address book from pre KDE 4.4 times was the vCard file under
$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf, which is provided by the 'VCard File Resource'
now (as you mentioned below)

> > > std.vcf - Ready
      ^^^ this one... if not, check whether it really points to that path!

But actually you should remove this resource as well after copying the contacts
from there to the 'Personal Contacts' resource (which should have been done by
the migration tool... why the heck doesn't it work....).

> > > Personal Contacts - Offline
> >
> And should this be Offline?
You can safly ignore that, just an GUI issue ;)

Ciao,
Tobias