[Kde-pim] GSOC 2010 ::KDE idea - facility for sending short messages Draft for GSOC 2010 kde related project.

Boris shtrasman borissh1983 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 19:08:31 GMT 2010

Please BCC me (the message didn't arrive to my mail box... not even in
spam box...)

On Sunday 07 of February 2010 10:03:00 Boris shtrasman wrote:
>> Hi ,
[snip]
>> // end of idea

>How about using libgnokii solely to access phone? It's the most compatible
>suite to access mobile phones on Linux around. KMobiletools uses only AT and
>trying to use it always resulted in application being frozen.
Well , for a start libgnokii dosn't support all mobile phones (e.g.
telit + Motorola)
rather small part of the nokia mobiles (not even all of them),
Plus there are GSM modem (from 2G to 3G) that support SMS messages.

The only basic solution that I can be sure to work is AT commands.

>I wonder maybe writing akonadi sms (or akonadi-gnokii) resource would be
>better (if it's not there already)? Since everything in KDE-pim moves to
>akonadi where possible now, I think it would be better idea to use this
>framework rather than write dedicated KDEPim library with custom library
>interface.
I'm tring to get the correct help on #kontact currently, but afaik
akonadi is for storage ,
 perhaps decibel is the best option. Another thing is I'm searching
for the design guidelines (Can't find them)
for developing kdepim library.
>>Using gnokii as third party library in my opinion should be preferred over
>writing custom AT/USB/Bluetooth phone library. One has to consider the fact,
>that someone will need to maintain this code after GSOC is done if this code
Well , I wish to do it - since after GSOC I will need to choose final Eng.
 project and that could be a great option.
>is meant to stay in KDEPim and it's easier to achieve when code is simple and
>preferably doesn't require constant updates to make it compatible with new
>phone models.
This is the main reason to stick with AT commands, since there are so
many changes in the models (apart from Motorola phones).

Please BCC me in an answer

Best regards ,
Boris Shtrasman yet another linux developer