[Kde-pim] GSOC 2010 ::KDE idea - facility for sending short messages Draft for GSOC 2010 kde related project.

Boris shtrasman borissh1983 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 09:03:00 GMT 2010

Hi ,
I have an idea to implement on GSOC 2010, the changing information can be
found at http://bit.ly/b1NkZZ (I will update it daily).
full copy :
// start
This is a draft for my idea , pre SRS document - sorry for any grammar or
spelling errors.

Idea:
library that will provide multiway SMS send capabilities for kontact
applications.

Implementation:

I will use existing code in kmobiletools and create new code of my own to
handle the AT commands for phones that aren't supported.
To send messages over VoIP I will use PjSIP.

At the end there will be a simple solution for sending in order to
send/receive sms via kontact applications.
I believe that the best place to put the codeis with in kontact.

Who can benefit from it ?
kopete and kmail , using Kde facility to send sms on email instead of SMSer
for example. This feature will enable easy to use add-ons for any PIM
related messaging.

What is currently possible:

writing your own script , invoking third party programs to send sms. no
single solution for SMS.

Who are the users (stakeholders) :

Developers of kopete and kmail,
End users with the need for sms : from business men to geeks , anyone with
mobile phone or perhaps a DECT phone that can accessed by AT commands that
wish to just do his work from kontact. No need to copy the phone number from
kaddressbook and manually dial. Just send message from kopete. A spare
mobile ? just connect at home and any email will be sent by sms.

But what about notifications ? In many places the mobile networks are much
better then wireless areas (Africa , Middle east , Thailand etc ... ). A
person without any special knowledge can use this library to send
notifications to one or many contacts, what about braking news ?
At the last war in the middle east there was no good solution to know when
you need to find shelter (since there much less people owning a radio then
mobile phones) - person can connect his mobile phone to computer and use it
to send alert messages (at 2008 people actually used that approach to notify
farmers at the fields). Your have some network connection in disaster zone ?
plug your mobile to the laptop and directing the RSS, It will cost you but
it could help everyone else. Also there is the backend - sms to email simple
and elegant way to communicate. just text someone and an email will be sent.

Expected results:

After two months of work - library that can send and receive short messages
from configurable resources.
1) Mobiles - using AT commands and third part libraries.
2) VoIP - connection to OpenSips and sending SMS using it as a gateway.

Few extra notes :
Full documentation to the project.
Pre built unit test for all aspects.
Regression tests.

There two aspects of the project :

Sending sms via phone:

Currently the only kde solution for sending sms is kmobiletools, I wish to
use part of the code with my additions to support much more mobile phones.
For tools/features that kmobiletools can't deal with I will use gnokii and
other short messaging implementation mechanisms.

Sending sms via VoIP:
There are many options and I prefer the PjSIP project for that.

Some technical info :

messages will be held in a message queue so there will be the ability to
send asynchronously.
an event will be sent back describing success or failure for some messages.
messages encoding will be used as phone default (for example UTF16 for
Russian). maximum length will be tested by library rather then by invoking
the phone.

// end of idea
-- Boris Shtrasman ------------
|Gnu/Linux Software developer   |