[Kde-pim] Akonadi killed KMail????

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Feb 25 20:44:49 GMT 2010

On Thursday 25 February 2010 11:14:50 Maxx Excaliber wrote:
> Quoting Tobias Koenig <tokoe at kde.org>:
> > Akonadi Server is the new PIM services that handles all the data
> > transfer, something like EDS under GNOME.
> > Why it doesn't work? Please goto userbase.kde.org and follow the steps
> > under the 'Akonadi Help' section. There exists a selftest dialog that
> > gives you more information what might be wrong.
>
> It would be a *touch* more helpful if you'd point to an exact URL.
> Just saying "goto userbase.kde.org and follow the steps under the
> 'Akonadi Help' section." isn't very  helpful. That's like saying "make
> me a cake" but not giving me the recipe.

Userbase is not exactly hard to find.  Did you try google, for instance?
However, you'll find a userbase link in my sig.

> > The software is not broken, only the configuration I guess, and that's
> > the fault of your distributor!
>
> Well, *something* broke KMail yesterday and you guys are the
> "experts," not to mention Fedora List suggested I talk to you guys.

Indeed?  Not on the kde-fedora list, I think, as I certainly haven't seen such
a message.  In fact there has been lots of discussions on the kde-fedora list
about the various problems encountered.  It is a fact that each problem that
we have mentioned is only experienced by a few people.  It's simply not
possible to predict which problem you will face, but every one we've met so
far is documented on http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi.

> > P.S.: are more sensitive tone when writing mails to this mailing
> > list would be welcome...
>
> I apologize, but I'm highly frustrated that KMail crashes. I'd be more
> than happy to provide you with the output when I try to start
> Akonadictl from Konsole..... Means nothing to me.

Then you certainly haven't been reading either kde-fedora list or userbase.
Resources are there for your to use.

> Oh, and I'm not sure
> if it's MY machine, or bugs.kde.org, but I can't use the automated
> crash reporting tool, even after installing several hundred megs of
> debug packages. Last night it wouldn't even let me login. This
> morning, it won't post the bug. Any way you can look into that?

Ask on kde-fedora.  It works here without problems.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group