[Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Feb 1 21:43:35 GMT 2010

Hi!

I just noticed the N900 smartphone and am pretty impressed. Especially I
like the fact to have a basically uncrippled and rather open environment
on my PDA, the fact it's running Linux just tops it off.

However I was not able to find a definitive answer if it's easily
possible to sync the Maemo default PIM apps with the KDE PIM suite. I'm
happy about any pointers to docs, good howtos or older mailing list
threads discussing this topic, I'm willing to RTFM, but could not find
much concrete information so far.

Note I do not want to run KDE PIM on this device, which would work
according to the information I googled. I'm using KDE PIM on my main
computer and would like to sync my mobile with these apps. I'm currently
using a Palm Centro which I explicitely bought - despide PalmOS 5 being
a dead platform and the device being technically outdated - because
syncing it using KDE kpilot works pretty reliably and simple.

However, as kpilot won't be part of KDE SC 4.4 due to lack of a
Maintainer and PalmOS support is increasingly dropped everywhere else as
well, I'm starting to actively look for an alternative PDA platform.

I'd prefer a simple and direct mobile <-> desktop sync solution, but
it'd also be possible to use some intermediate server software if that
would be neccessary. It's more important that the sync tools are
relatively mature and work without much hassle, without custom patching
and compiling against some very special versions of some obscure
libraries, and without eating my appointments for breakfast - to
summarise, I'm hoping for some sync solution which just works "out of
the box".

Thanks for any tips, hints and pointers!

  Gunter