[Kde-pim] Re: Do we need a Beta3?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Dec 15 13:40:39 GMT 2010

Am Sonntag 12 Dezember 2010 schrieb Till Adam:
> In short: we do need help in kdepim (we've been saying so for years),
> there's  a lot of KDAB work going on to help out, I personally think
> releasing kdepim with 4.6 is the right thing to do, we should try to
> get as much high quality feedback as we can, in particular for
> migration, and we should try to get some more KDE hackers from the
> wider ecosystem to help out, like Thiago, David and others have
> started doing after beta 1, with great results.

I would very much like to see KDEPIM with 4.6 as it will receive wider
testing then, but I also value the feedback of the people who say its not
yet stable enough and has too many open bug reports. I also worry about
the load Nepomuk/Akonadi might put on my ThinkPad T42. I still find that
Nepomuk/Virtuoso based desktop search tends to put quite some workload
onto it.

I didn't yet test KDEPIM 4.6. I was about to download the KDEPIM test
livecd I saw mentioned in a thread here, but then I put my attention on
some else which was important to me again.

What about doing a KDEPIM release with KDE 4.6 but clearly mark it as beta
and asking distributors that want to ship KDE 4.6 in their next version to
package these in their development branches, so more people can easily
adopt and test KDEPIM and working together with the packaging teams and
upstream on the issues that come up - in my case for example with the
excellent Debian KDE/Qt team and packages from experimental or qt-
kde.debian.net experimental-snapshots. I am willing to report bugs
upstream and provide informations asked of me. Distributors could still
fail back to 4.4.8 if they want to release before KDEPIM 4.6 is stable
enough for them. For endusers that compile KDE themselves you can over
that they use the stable 4.4.8 when they do depend on a stable KDEPIM.
Just be honest and let them decide for themselves which version to use.

Having packages would make it quite easy to downgrade if its get too
annoying - preferably after doing good bug reports - and upgrade again at
a later date.

Another way for me for testing would be a virtual machine image with
persistent write support. But for me it poses the difficulty that I still
use POP3 and have all mails - *lots of them* - local. I didn't migrate to
IMAP yet, as creating filtering for easily 50+ folders and a spam filter
setup with CRM114 on the server is quite some work and I usually only use
my laptop to read mails.

What could work, at least trying to use KMail 2 with POP that leaves mail
of the server, I duplicing ~/Mail into the virtual machine to see how
migration turns out. But my ~/Mail is huge.

Or really finally compile KDEPIM myself and switch forward and backwards
with some environment variables. I now have a bigger harddisk so I should
be able to make enough room for a compilation, but still wonder how long
it would take with a Pentium M 1.8 GHz and 2 GB of RAM.

I hope to take time to have a look at it during the holidays.