[Kde-pim] Re: KDEPIM Git Move

Torgny Nyblom kde at nyblom.org
Thu Dec 2 12:32:04 GMT 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010 12.14.20 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Thu, December 2, 2010 10:28 am, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 November 2010 11.20.43 Allen Winter wrote:
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> As negotiated today between me, Volker and Torgny we have decided
> >> to make the KDEPIM move to the new KDE Git repo after the 4.6
> >> branching.
> >>
> >> The release schedule says this should on 21 Dec, approx.
> >>
> >> Torgny will be in charge of the move.
> >
> > Conversion plan:
> >
> > 20 Dec: Whole files/directories may not be merged.
> > 21-22 Dec: KDE 4.6 is branched:
> > 27 Dec: Rules and generated gits availabe for review.
> > 28 Dec: KDEPIM is made read-only.
> > 29 Dec: KDEPIM is converted.
> > 30 Dec: KDEPIM is pushed to git.kde.org
> > 30 Dec: KDEPIM git acceptance check.
> > <=3 Jan: KDEPIM is open for buissness as usual but hosted in git, SVN
> > copy will be disabled (unbuildable just generating a warning).
> >
> > Please make any objections *ASAP*.
>
> I don't know what's involved in git conversion rules, but a single day to
> review them seems much too short, especially around Christmas/New Year
> time when many people could be away from home and unable to access them.
> I'd suggest a week minimum.

Fine by me but that would mean that KDEPIM is readonly for one week extra.

> Are there any plans to keep a read-only SVN copy to allow full history
> access, which I understand the git repository won't allow in all cases?

Yes.

However how this should be done seems to be undescided at the KDE level. The
current practise by the sysadmins is to remove all files from SVN and only
leave a readme stating where the files are now. Then after a week (or so) the
entire dir is removed. As I understand it this means that one need to know at
what revision the conversion was done to be able to browse the SVN copy. I
would prefer to make the SVN copy unbuildable (cmake issuing an error or
something) and leave everything as is.

/Regards
Torgny