[Kde-pim] Re: Do we need a Beta3?

Jeffery MacEachern j.maceachern at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:32:40 GMT 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 03:13, Gaël Beaudoin <gaboo at gaboo.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 10 décembre 2010 11:27:14, Andras Mantia a écrit :
>> Allen Winter wrote:
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > Should I ask the Release Team to insert a third beta into the release
>> > schedule. The current schedule calls for the next tagging on 21 Dec to be
>> > a Release Candidate.
>> >
>> > If desired, I could ask for a 2 week extension of the schedule and we
>> > would call the 21 Dec tagging Beta3.
>>
>> Having an extension for the beta time by itself will not help. If nobody
>> fixes bugs, they won't go away. If developers cannot find time to work on
>> kdepim, that's fine, but in this case we should consider of not releasing
>> kdepim together with 4.6.0. I wish we could, but releasing in its current
>> state will do more harm than good, as there are obvious shortcomings both
>> in migration (very important!) and daily usage.
>>
>> Andras
>
> As a user and KDE advocate, I completly agree. I've installed 4.6 beta 1 and
> while it's miles ahead of what was in 4.5, I've reverted to 4.4.x for KDEPIM.
>
> I've reported several bugs [1], most of which are rather grave IMO, none of
> them have been fixed or commented by a developer (If I'm not wrong). This is
> no criticism, this to say : well, it's getting really better, but I really
> think you need to wait some more months before releasing the akonadi based
> kdepim and let developer do their magic. I've tried to keep using it, but the
> multiple current annoyances and bugs make it really hard.
>
> Having to regularly restart akonadi by hand, having the computer slow due to
> virtuoso/nepomul indexing, impossibility to delete some emails, others not
> shown, etc, is really hard to cope with.
>
> On the other hand, the 4.4.x branch is rock stable and pleasant to use.
> Consider giving it more time to mature.

I would have to concur.  It really is looking good, but as someone who
often runs nightlies of the whole SC on my primary machine, I still
don't consider Kontact & Co sufficient for daily use yet, due to bugs.
 I know people in the blogosphere will make a fuss if it's pushed back
further, but it's my honest opinion (with no offense meant whatsoever)
that they'll have more a of a cause for making a fuss if it's released
too early.

I guess the question I have is this: for those of use who are new
developers, power users, or other people with technical skill, but
limited or no knowledge of the KDE-PIM codebase, what can we do to
help?  I'd love to lend a hand over the Christmas break from
university, but it sounds like lack of bug reports isn't really the
issue here, and I don't know what else I can do to just jump in.

Regards,

 - Jeffery MacEachern