[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch vs Kontact Mobile

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 2 14:10:38 GMT 2010

Am Freitag, 12. November 2010 12:24:59 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> Personally of all the addendums, I also liked "Touch" the most, but see the
> point about it having some form of duplication.

Currently the software is branded as "Kontact Mobile",
my suggestion of using "Kontact Touch" for the finger usable variant
seems to be an improvement.

There was one serious argument against it by Will that
"Kontact Touch" might be seen as a strange wordplay by some
that do not know "Kontact". Also one other person I talked to liked
"Kontact Mobile" better.

Overall, if think "Kontact" is a tiny bit arkward as a word and if we
keep it, I personally think that the possible wordplay meaning of
"Kontact Touch" is an acceptable danger.

> So maybe thinking about a rebranding of Kontact would actually be sensible.

A completely new brand is something I personally do not like to tackle right
now. As I have explained before: In my view, we have to keep the current
people that know "Kontact" in the boat and we lack time to come up with a
grand new name.

So how do we go about this "decision"?
Next week I am going to meet a number of Kontact people from Intevation
and KDAB and thus I can get another round of feedback.
Given the current grade of overall agreement holds with them, I'd report
here and then I would suggest to change to "Kontact Touch" somewhere over the
next weeks or so.

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.